Robert May’s School is pleased to offer instrumental lessons on all brass, woodwind and string instruments, keyboard, piano, vocal, drums and guitar.
Music tuition takes place each week, usually in groups of 2/3 students per lesson. Lessons last for 20 to 30 minutes, depending on the number of students in the group. Every lesson will be on the same day of the week, but at a different time so that students don’t miss the same curriculum lesson each time.
If your child is currently learning an instrument in their primary school and you wish for them to continue at Robert May’s School, or if you would like your child to start instrumental lessons please complete our online form by the closing date notified to you by email. A link to this form can be found at the end of this page.
Lesson allocation to start in September is subject to availability and payment.
Fees for all lessons, except guitar lessons, are currently £345 per instrument for the year, with a choice of payment options.
Guitar lessons are currently provided by Rock and Pop Foundation; the fees for these are slightly different. More information and some additional forms that Rock and Pop Foundation require you to complete will be forwarded when we receive your application.
Terms and Conditions
If you sign up for music tuition at Robert May’s School, the following terms and conditions apply:
- Commitment to a full year of lessons. This is a commitment for the full year which means payment is expected for the year even if your child decides to stop lessons at any point in that year.
- The fees for lessons are currently £345 per instrument for the year (except guitar lessons). Payment options include a one-off payment for the year, three equal termly payments or 10 x monthly payments. The preferred method of payment is online via Scopay; however cheques will be accepted.
- Please note your child’s lessons will not commence until payment is received.
- Support for the cost of instrumental/singing lessons may be available from the Odiham Music Foundation. For details please email firstname.lastname@example.org marking your email for the attention of Mrs Hills.
- All instruments must be taken home each evening. The school cannot take responsibility for instruments which are left over night.
- Lessons will be on the same day each week but at a different time. Please check the music department noticeboard for your specific time.
- Students must attend all musical instrument/singing lessons even if an assessment is taking place in class.
- It is expected that your child will perform in at least one of the school ensembles which start in the January term. This will require full commitment and regular attendance at rehearsals.
- Missed lessons due to an offsite trip or sporting event cannot be refunded.
- A minimum of 10 lessons to be provided per term.
- Parents will be contacted via email if their child has missed a lesson.
- It is the student’s responsibility to catch up the work they have missed in their own time, including homework that is issued when they are not in the lesson.
- The school contracts Hampshire Music Services to attend at the school for the purposes of delivering instrumental and singing lessons during the school day and is required to pay for this service in advance.
- Force Majeure (war, civil war, armed conflict, terrorist attack, government action, fire, flood, severe weather conditions, pandemic or epidemic or any other matter that is beyond our control). We cannot be liable if a lesson has to be cancelled due to Force Majeure. In this event we will endeavour to resume lessons as soon as possible. Information on the resuming of lessons will be made available as soon as possible.
How to Apply
Robert May’s School is very proud of the music we produce and we wish to continue working and performing at this high standard. A strong commitment to instrumental lessons will improve your child’s skills and confidence. We have a busy year ahead with school concerts, productions and music festivals.
If your child wishes to apply for music lessons please complete this form by the date specified in your welcome email in order for the school to book music lessons for September.
Covid 19 – Potential online service
In the event Hampshire Music Service is unable to deliver lessons to students at the beginning of the Academic year, an alternative option of online Instrumental lessons may be offered. As part of this initiative students and parents would have email conversations with your child’s music teacher, get advice and information on how to help them progress with their instrumental/vocal skills, the opportunity to upload audio or video recordings of your son/daughter playing, for a more detailed response from their teacher; access to an extensive resources section which includes video demos by HMS staff and lots of music, technical exercises, worksheets, ensemble activities etc. Students will also be offered online live lessons taught via Google Meet.
If you have any questions, please email email@example.com, marking your email for the attention of Mrs Hills.